Kahawa Café LTD is an independent coffee house that was established in 2012. Located in the heart of Coventry, this family run business provides a warm and welcoming environment for everyone, and thrives on providing excellent quality and faultless service.
In its short life Kahawa Cafes amazing blend of coffee and its delightful atmosphere has accomplished much in terms of recognition, the business was included in Brian’s coffee blog a really positive write up!) It took part in Midlands Business Excellence awards as a runner up beating some of the industries biggest names, and it was featured in Coventry Telegraph as the best new business runner up 2013, Additionally we have been awarded a certificate of excellence by Trip Advisor, and achieved and maintained a hygiene rating of 5* !
Our coffee is a beautiful blend of the finest Arabica beans from around the world. When combined these beans produce a truly special blend which is smooth, sweet and full of flavours that engage your senses and transport them to Brazil, El Salvador and India from where our Arabica beans originate.
In addition to our Award-winning coffee we provide freshly prepared food and snacks perfect for all types of social and business gatherings. We cater for a variety of dietary requirements including vegan, vegetarian and gluten free, please ask instore for details.
We are proud to engage in Coventry City of culture 2021. We try to celebrate as many types of cultural festivals such as National, Religious and Seasonal as we can because we feel that they all serve the purpose of bringing happiness to our lives, and strengthen our sense of community, we love the different foods we offer for sale and the sense of togetherness felt when we have decorated Kahawa Café for the event. We feel that cultural celebrations foster respect and open-mindness for other cultures. Celebrating our differences as well as our common interests, helps unite and educate us about the different ‘ways of life’ of groups of people.
Selecting a Roaster was one of the biggest decisions that was made for the Business. The criteria for selection included ethical sourcing, a sustainability agenda and roasting to order to maintain an excellent flavoursome blend. Kahawa was very pleased to appoint a roaster who fulfils all of the above and is very conscious about their carbon footprint and here are some of the efforts they make to ensure this:
· One of their biggest achievements has been their investment of a new roaster which uses 80% less gas compared to traditional roasters.
· They buy renewable energy
· They recycle all that they can
· They run a 99% paperless office
· They use only biodegradable filling for packaging
· They encourage our suppliers to cut out plastic as much as possible
· They order in bulk to reduce transport cost
· They use paper tape instead of plastic tape
· They don’t use air conditioning but ventilate fans and windows
· They reuse coffee waste
· They work with DPD who are a carbon neutral company
· And last but not least they support world coffee research
Below are some of the efforts we at Kahawa make for our sustainability program:
· We collect rainwater and use it to water our plants
· We capture the maximum amount of natural daylight by having large windows to reflect the light thereby reducing the use of electricity and lighting
· We have cut down the heating cost as the café is well insulated
· Onsite composting (of used teabags and coffee) compost is used and given away to our customers or used at home or in potted plants
· By increasing the plants in Kahawa we are taking the CO2 out of the air making the air quality purer for our customers
· Less food wastage by preparing our orders on demand and also using our in-house sales data to calculate trends to reduce unnecessary purchasing
· We feed the homeless with our food made onsite fresh daily
And our sustainability journey does not stop here, Kahawa has a continuous improvement approach to its business and will keep going.
Sustainability is at the heart of our ethos, we at Kahawa are always looking for ways to improve our sustainability and believe this uphill struggle is only made easier if we all do our part. Change comes from the small decisions we make on a daily basis, whether it is changing out travel plans or changing our coffee it all comes down to one question, what will you do today?
As a consumer your choice matters, so where will you choose to enjoy your coffee and food??